Florida man dies after winning cockroach-eating contest

Edward Archbold was, according to those who met him on Friday night, the life of the party – a bit of a showoff who was up for anything, even a giant cockroach-eating contest.

He won. And then, tragically, he died.

Now police from Deerfield Beach, Fla., about 40 miles north of Miami, are investigating the death of the 32-year-old, who on Facebook went by Edward William Barry.

According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, Archbold, of West Palm Beach, and several other contestants signed up to eat a variety of insects at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach. After eating dozens of giant cockroaches, Archbold was declared the winner of an ivory-ball python. (The prizes, Archbold indicated on his Facebook page that night, were less significant than the glory.)

He had also entered a superworm-eating contest earlier in the night.

But after winning, Archbold felt sick and started vomiting. He then collapsed in the store and was later pronounced dead. The medical examiner’s office is conducting tests to determine a cause of death, according to the sheriff’s office statement.

On Facebook, Ben Siegel Reptiles wrote that staff met Archbold the night of the Midnight Madness sale: “We all liked him right away. All of us here at Ben Siegel Reptiles are sad that we will not get to know Eddie better, for in the short time we knew him, he was very well liked by all.”

In the comments beneath the statement, the reptile store wrote that the prize “now belongs to his estate.”

In another Facebook comment, an attorney claiming to represent Ben Siegel Reptiles wrote that contest participants had signed waivers accepting their participation in this “unique and unorthodox contest.”

“The consumption of insects is widely accepted throughout the world, and the insects presented as part of the contest were taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles,” wrote attorney Luke Lirot.

No other contestants felt sick, the Broward Sheriff’s Office said.

And Archbold seemed to be doing all right earlier in the night, according to his own account on Facebook. He took photos of the superworms and wrote: ” Also side note im NOW in a super worm eating comp now…….what ever the hell a super worm is?”

Eating the bugs yielded valuable rewards, according to the store’s Facebook page: “Eat the most bugs in 4 minutes, win the ball morph. That’s it. Oh yeah, any vomiting is an automatic DQ,” the advertisement stated. “Eat the most crickets, win a male lesser. Eat the most superworms, win a female orange belly. Eat the most discoid roaches, win a female graphite sired ivory!”

Michael Adams, a professor of entomology at the University of California, Riverside, told The Associated Press that he has never heard of someone dying after eating roaches.

“Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don’t think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” Adams said. “Some people do have allergies to roaches but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects.”

Meanwhile, Archbold’s friends took to his Facebook page to remember him. Wrote one: “This goes out to one of the most funnest, craziest, and most energetic person I have ever met!!! I will never ever forget u Eddie… I don’t think anyone could!!”

 

(Please note, we take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Advertisements

Woman makes nephew ride in trunk of Lexus to protect seats

An Edina woman has been charged with child endangerment after she allegedly had her 11-year-old nephew ride in the trunk of her Lexus so he wouldn’t drip water on its leather seats.

According to the criminal complaint, Susan Marie McCarty, 38, was charged after she admitted that she had her nephew get into the trunk because he was damp from going on a water ride at Valleyfair.

On the afternoon of Aug. 23, witnesses in a parking lot at the Shakopee amusement park reported seeing a boy climb into the trunk while two women watched. Witnesses gave police the license number of the car, and after being stopped by officers, McCarty told them the back seat console had been folded down so the boy could get some air.

When he said he was getting hot, she said, air vents were aimed at the hole, which was about the size of a piece of paper. Temperatures that day were in the mid 80s.

McCarty said on Tuesday night that, halfway to her car in the Valleyfair parking lot, she realized that she didn’t have a towel for the boy. She said she would never purposely put her family in danger and was glad no one had been hurt. “I didn’t assess the situation,” McCarty said.

The boy, who had been dropped off at his home in Wayzata before police stopped his aunt, told police that he had gone on a water ride right before they left Valleyfair and that his aunt had wanted him to ride in the trunk because he was wet and that he didn’t want to question her. Despite the console being open and being able to fit his face in the opening, the boy said, he was still hot and would have rather sat in the back seat.

The boy’s 14-year-old sister told police that he had seemed excited about riding in the trunk. She said she and her grandmother had “somewhat of an uneasy feeling” about the boy riding in the trunk, but they, too, didn’t question her aunt.

If convicted, McCarty could face as much as a year in prison and $3,000 in fines.

 

(Please Note: We take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Man falls on his knife three times

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — A 37-year-old man was hospitalized in Grand Rapids on Sunday after suffering several stab wounds he claimed resulted from falling on a knife, police said.

According to medical dispatch traffic around 8:30 p.m. Sunday, the man suffered three stab wounds to his neck and back.

The placement of the wounds suggested to medical personnel they were not self-inflicted, according to dispatch reports.

Grand Rapids police Lt. Matt Ostapowicz said an officer was sent to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital to interview the man.

“He claimed he fell on a knife he was working with. But he’s also being uncooperative,” Ostapowicz said. “We don’t necessarily believe his story right now.”

 

(Please Note: We take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Fire truck stolen while firefighters at work

ATLANTIC CITY – August 19, 2012 (WPVI) — Atlantic City police are searching for the person responsible for taking a fire truck while firefighters worked to free patrons trapped in an elevator.

Around 4:00 a.m., firefighters from Engine 7 were called to rescue several people trapped in an elevator at the Tropicana Hotel and Casino.

Hotel security reported at least a dozen people stuck inside on the fourth floor.

Firefighters were able to free the patrons within 20 minutes.

While fire crews worked, someone jumped into the truck and drove it about a block away before leaving it unattended.

Officials were able to recover the truck undamaged.

Police are still investigating. So far no word on any suspects or arrests.

 

(Please Note We Take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Minnesota man charged with burrito assault

AUSTIN, Minn. — After tossing a burrito at a woman on Tuesday night, an Adams, Minn., man was charged in Mower County District Court with gross misdemeanor domestic assault.

Troy Hansen also was re-sentenced for a probation violation on a gross misdemeanor DWI conviction from July and sentenced to 180 days in jail.

According to court documents:

Adams police and a Mower County sheriff’s deputy went to the 100 block of Fourth Street NW in Adams after 9 p.m. Tuesday for a report of a domestic dispute. When they arrived, they discovered Hansen had allegedly thrown a burrito at the woman; toppings were still on her head and right shoulder.

The court complaint states Hansen asked the woman for a cigarette and got angry when she refused. He then dumped her plate off the bed and threw her cooked burrito, which struck her in the head. The complaint does not state that the victim was burned, but she said she was scared.

Hansen admitted he had about six pints of beer, was given a breath test and registered a .254 blood-alcohol content, the complaint adds. He was arrested for domestic assault. A review of his record shows a previous conviction for third-degree domestic assault in June 2009.

 

(We take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Overdose horror at city McDonald’s

 

A BEDRAGGLED drug user was left to overdose in front of children for 20 minutes at an Elizabeth St McDonald’s today, despite outraged parents pleading with staff to call emergency services.

The 26 year-old St Kilda man entered the family restaurant near the Queen Victoria Market at about 3.30pm today and began injecting with a needle near shocked patrons.

Andrew Kahn, of Adelaide, had travelled to Melbourne for a weekend away with his wife and children and had just visited the Vic Market when he saw the drug user – with his pants slipping down – in the corner of the McDonald’s.

”He came in and started shooting up, right near a family with kids,” Mr Kahn said.

”I told a staff member it was happening and she said sorry, the manager isn’t in at the moment.

”The guy was still there and started nodding off in the corner.”

Diners were further outraged when the restaurant closed its upstairs dining area during the ordeal meaning families had to sit near the drug user in the crowded ground section.

Mr Kahn said authorities were called when he approached staff a second time.

A police spokeswoman said ambulance officers treated the man when he became aggressive and was handcuffed by police.

He was taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Mr Kahn captured a photo of the man on his phone showing him in a delirous state crouched near the front window of the restaurant.

McDonald’s spokeswoman Laura Keith said: ”As soon as the manager became aware of the man he asked him to leave.

”The man refused and the police were called right away. The manager spoke to police twice on the phone before they arrived, arrested and removed the man from the restaurant. The dining area was then cleaned thoroughly.”

 

(we take NO credit for this story or photo. All information is from here!)

Strip clubs set to recruit high school students

 

TORONTO — Recruiters of teenage strippers may soon be scouring Toronto high schools in search of female students who can be groomed into disrobing part-time as exotic dancers to earn college tuition.

A flyer praising the benefits of the burlesque trade has been produced to target students in high schools, colleges and universities in the Toronto area, says a group representing dancers and club owners.

The brochure claims working as a dancer pays well, offers flexible hours and makes a “great part-time job to raise college tuition.”

A scramble is underway by the Adult Entertainment Association of Canada to fill a demand for dancers after the federal government this month stopped issuing visas or extensions for foreign strippers to work here.

There are up to 800 foreign strippers in Canada and most vow to go underground and work in the sex trade if they can’t dance legally.

The foreign dancers, many of whom are from Eastern Europe and South America, represent about 5% of the 38,000 strippers working in clubs across Canada. Most of them dance in Toronto, Windsor, Ont., London, Ont., Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Calgary.

Caroline, 28, and Nicola, 25, have been dancing in a downtown Toronto club for more than a year and have tasted the good life, and now don’t want to return to their native Hungary.

“We are not happy that visas are no longer being issued to us,” Caroline said. “I am very disappointed and afraid of what may happen to me in the future.”

The women say they work long hours and send most of their earnings back home to their families.

“We did not do anything wrong in Canada,” she said. “They should not be sending us back home.”
Nicola said she’s stressed out and hasn’t been able to eat since hearing news of the visa revocation.

“My visa is almost expired and I am very scared,” she said. “I am very shattered that I may no longer be able to work and help my family back home.”

The association said the visa ban that began July 14 means more Canadian women have to be hired to meet the demand. The new rules will prevent strip clubs, escort services and massage parlours from having access to foreign women.

“They’re destroying the industry by creating a labour shortage,” association director Tim Lambrinos said.

“The word ‘exotic’ means foreign and that’s what people want to see.”

The association has created a “six-point action plan” to help keep the dancers in Canada. That includes more recruitment of women in high schools and colleges, lobbying the government for changes and if all else fails, the strippers plan to file refugee claims or marry Canadian citizens to sponsor them.

Lambrinos said girls 18 and older can work as dancers in Ontario, according to advice from their lawyers.

He said recruiters from strip clubs will try to attract students by attending job fairs at high schools, colleges and universities in Toronto and surrounding areas.

“We are already doing some outreach work in some areas,” Lambrinos said. “We will be taking a strippers’ dance pole with us to the schools.”
He said overcrowded Toronto high schools can become a prime recruiting ground for potential dancers.

QMI Agency has obtained a draft copy of the flyer to be circulated to high school students. It advises them that they can earn tuition fees while working as an “exotic dance entertainer” and that no sex with customers is permitted.

“If you are visually appealing and comfortable with your naked body and are comfortable about taking all your clothes off,” the flyer states. “You can be working right now as an exotic dancer and earn your tuition fees for university or college.”

Students are told they must be “comfortable … onstage at a club and disrobing,” and are guaranteed that “no actual sex or sex acts (will) occur.”

It warns them that they will have to provide private dances, or table dances, in dark lounge areas and part-time, full-time or seasonal jobs are available.

Officials of the Toronto District School Board did not return phone calls or e-mails about the proposal despite repeated attempts by QMI Agency. Several high school students said they did not like the idea of strippers being recruited from among their peers.

Foreign dancers said they’re willing to get married to a Canadian citizen or file refugee claims to stay here.

Plans are in place to seek Canadian men to marry some of the strippers whose visas are about to expiry, which could force them to go underground and into the hands of organized crime to work in the sex trade.

Lambrinos said photographs and descriptions of some the dancers will be posted on the Internet and newspaper ads with text seeking Canadian husbands. Potential hubbies will have to be citizens and not have a criminal record.

“This is very urgent for some of the dancers whose visas are nearing expiry,” Lambrinos said. “Every potential sponsor will be looked at and the girls will make a decision on who they want to marry.”

There will be a phone number and e-mails for the potential husbands to contact their potential brides.

Officials of the Canada Border Services Agency said the scheme can be considered a marriage of convenience, since there is no history of courtship between the couple. If approved, the sponsor will be responsible for his wife for about 10 years in Canada.

“We’re trying to do all we can to keep the dancers here,” Lambrinos said. “The girls themselves have said they are not going back home.”
He said another plan will have the strippers file claims for refugee status and there is no guarantee that they will be accepted.
Immigration officials said filing a claim will allow the women to remain here for more than a year as they challenge the case, but eventuality they will have to leave.
The controversial “stripper visa” dates back to 1998 and allowed hundreds of foreign dancers into the country each year. In 2001, for example, 660 foreign dancers, mostly from eastern Europe, were admitted.
All they had to do was provide a Canadian job offer from a strip club and prove they were qualified to “dance.”
Roughly 100 of the visas have been renewed each year since 2006.
Support for the program has plummeted ever since MP Judy Sgro, a former Liberal immigration minister, resigned in 2000 after facing accusations that she fast-tracked a stripper who worked on her campaign — a scandal dubbed “Strippergate.”

 

(Please Note: We take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)