Mattel puts end to search for real-life Barbie

A CAMPAIGN to find Australia’s real-life Barbie has been shut down by the iconic doll’s creators.

The Sunday Mail has learnt that an Australian licensee of Mattel has been given a dressing down after issuing a casting call without the permission of the plastic doll’s international manufacturer.

The advertisement, which bore the Mattel name, called for tanned Queensland women, size six to 10, and 25 years or under, to apply for the role. The successful candidate was also required to have Barbie’s trademark blonde locks, be no shorter than 170cm, have a perfect face and teeth, and be able to speak with an American accent.

“You will need to have the right personality to become Mattel’s Barbie,” the casting call said.

It was issued on online audition noticeboard StarNow on September 18 but pulled last week after Mattel Australia was contacted by The Sunday Mail.

Gretta Addison of Mattel Australia said the casting call had been issued by a licensee partner.

“This was not posted by Mattel. It was a partner of Mattel who manages specific promotions and we are working with them to understand why this was posted,” Ms Addison said.

“And, in fact, when we cast Barbie models around the world, while we do look for young women and men to play Barbie and Ken who have some resemblance to the local image, we are looking for clever, fun actors who relate to children and understand how to interpret the brand.”

In place of the advertisement was a one line message: This listing has been temporarily removed by StarNow staff for further review.

The popular plastic fashion doll was launched by Mattel in 1959 and her “life” has been controversial. She has been criticised for promoting an unrealistic body image for young women with estimates putting her body mass index at 16.24, anorexic by health standards.

 

(Please note: We take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Advertisements

Dad offers year of beer in exchange for son’s apprenticeship

Ale

An Australian father has offered companies a year’s supply of beer if they take his son on as an electrical apprentice.

Paul McVeigh from Queensland has put up the advertisement as his son has been struggling to find a trade, reports ABC News.

The listing reads: “Free beer – one year’s supply. 50 cartons in exchange for electrical apprenticeship for my 19-year-old son. Local, hardworking, reliable, desperate, not a quitter.”

McVeigh’s son Nick explained: “We’ve been around and we haven’t found anything so far. I’ve showed up at stores in person and still nothing. [I’ve also] sent out resumes to more than 100 places at least, all over Queensland.”

Though there has been interest in the advert, the plan has yet to find success.

One electrical company admitted that they were unimpressed with the Paul’s job-hunting tactics. Christine Bower at A Plus Electrical and Air Conditioning said that he came into her office with the proposition recently.

She recalled: “I just threw that resume straight in the bin because I feel as though his son should have come in with his dad, and I don’t believe that the dad should have to do all the running around to get his son a job.”

If the offer is accepted, Paul would be spending “a couple of grand” on beer. He justified this amount as “a worthy investment in [his] son’s future”.

 

(Please Note: We take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)