Florida man dies after winning cockroach-eating contest

Edward Archbold was, according to those who met him on Friday night, the life of the party – a bit of a showoff who was up for anything, even a giant cockroach-eating contest.

He won. And then, tragically, he died.

Now police from Deerfield Beach, Fla., about 40 miles north of Miami, are investigating the death of the 32-year-old, who on Facebook went by Edward William Barry.

According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, Archbold, of West Palm Beach, and several other contestants signed up to eat a variety of insects at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach. After eating dozens of giant cockroaches, Archbold was declared the winner of an ivory-ball python. (The prizes, Archbold indicated on his Facebook page that night, were less significant than the glory.)

He had also entered a superworm-eating contest earlier in the night.

But after winning, Archbold felt sick and started vomiting. He then collapsed in the store and was later pronounced dead. The medical examiner’s office is conducting tests to determine a cause of death, according to the sheriff’s office statement.

On Facebook, Ben Siegel Reptiles wrote that staff met Archbold the night of the Midnight Madness sale: “We all liked him right away. All of us here at Ben Siegel Reptiles are sad that we will not get to know Eddie better, for in the short time we knew him, he was very well liked by all.”

In the comments beneath the statement, the reptile store wrote that the prize “now belongs to his estate.”

In another Facebook comment, an attorney claiming to represent Ben Siegel Reptiles wrote that contest participants had signed waivers accepting their participation in this “unique and unorthodox contest.”

“The consumption of insects is widely accepted throughout the world, and the insects presented as part of the contest were taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles,” wrote attorney Luke Lirot.

No other contestants felt sick, the Broward Sheriff’s Office said.

And Archbold seemed to be doing all right earlier in the night, according to his own account on Facebook. He took photos of the superworms and wrote: ” Also side note im NOW in a super worm eating comp now…….what ever the hell a super worm is?”

Eating the bugs yielded valuable rewards, according to the store’s Facebook page: “Eat the most bugs in 4 minutes, win the ball morph. That’s it. Oh yeah, any vomiting is an automatic DQ,” the advertisement stated. “Eat the most crickets, win a male lesser. Eat the most superworms, win a female orange belly. Eat the most discoid roaches, win a female graphite sired ivory!”

Michael Adams, a professor of entomology at the University of California, Riverside, told The Associated Press that he has never heard of someone dying after eating roaches.

“Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don’t think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” Adams said. “Some people do have allergies to roaches but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects.”

Meanwhile, Archbold’s friends took to his Facebook page to remember him. Wrote one: “This goes out to one of the most funnest, craziest, and most energetic person I have ever met!!! I will never ever forget u Eddie… I don’t think anyone could!!”

 

(Please note, we take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Advertisements

Overdose horror at city McDonald’s

 

A BEDRAGGLED drug user was left to overdose in front of children for 20 minutes at an Elizabeth St McDonald’s today, despite outraged parents pleading with staff to call emergency services.

The 26 year-old St Kilda man entered the family restaurant near the Queen Victoria Market at about 3.30pm today and began injecting with a needle near shocked patrons.

Andrew Kahn, of Adelaide, had travelled to Melbourne for a weekend away with his wife and children and had just visited the Vic Market when he saw the drug user – with his pants slipping down – in the corner of the McDonald’s.

”He came in and started shooting up, right near a family with kids,” Mr Kahn said.

”I told a staff member it was happening and she said sorry, the manager isn’t in at the moment.

”The guy was still there and started nodding off in the corner.”

Diners were further outraged when the restaurant closed its upstairs dining area during the ordeal meaning families had to sit near the drug user in the crowded ground section.

Mr Kahn said authorities were called when he approached staff a second time.

A police spokeswoman said ambulance officers treated the man when he became aggressive and was handcuffed by police.

He was taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Mr Kahn captured a photo of the man on his phone showing him in a delirous state crouched near the front window of the restaurant.

McDonald’s spokeswoman Laura Keith said: ”As soon as the manager became aware of the man he asked him to leave.

”The man refused and the police were called right away. The manager spoke to police twice on the phone before they arrived, arrested and removed the man from the restaurant. The dining area was then cleaned thoroughly.”

 

(we take NO credit for this story or photo. All information is from here!)

Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at grocery store

Reported by: Don Hudson

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) – A citizen with a gun stopped a knife wielding man as he began stabbing people Thursday evening at the downtown Salt Lake City Smith’s store.

Police say the suspect purchased a knife inside the store and then turned it into a weapon. Smith’s employee Dorothy Espinoza says, “He pulled it out and stood outside the Smiths in the foyer. And just started stabbing people and yelling you killed my people. You killed my people.”

Espinoza says, the knife wielding man seriously injured two people. “There is blood all over. One got stabbed in the stomach and got stabbed in the head and held his hands and got stabbed all over the arms.”

Then, before the suspect could find another victim – a citizen with a gun stopped the madness. “A guy pulled gun on him and told him to drop his weapon or he would shoot him. So, he dropped his weapon and the people from Smith’s grabbed him.”

By the time officers arrived the suspect had been subdued by employees and shoppers. Police had high praise for gun carrying man who ended the hysteria. Lt. Brian Purvis said, “This was a volatile situation that could have gotten worse. We can only assume from what we saw it could have gotten worse. He was definitely in the right place at the right time.”

Dozens of other shoppers, who too could have become victims, are also thankful for the gun carrying man. And many, like Danylle Julian, are still in shock from the experience. “Scary actually. Really scary. Five minutes before I walk out to my car. It could have been me.”

Police say right now they have no idea what caused the suspect to go on the dangerous rampage. (We will update as soon as we learn new information.)

So far, police have not released the names of the suspect, the victims or the man who pulled the gun.

 

(Please Note: We take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Man Accused of Biting Boy’s Face

A Houston-area man has been accused of grabbing an 11-year-old boy and biting him on the face.

Records show 70-year-old Abdus Sattar of Spring has been charged with injury to a child in the July 14 incident.

Authorities say the boy told investigators he was riding his go-kart when a man flagged him down. A criminal complaint says the man grabbed by the boy, kissed him and bit his cheeks.

The child ran away and told his parents, who called authorities.

Asst. Chief Deputy Mark Herman of the Harris County Constable’s Office said Monday that the boy suffered facial bruises. Hermann says Sattar told investigators he spoke to the boy but never touched the child.

No publicly listed phone number could immediately be found for Sattar, who’s free on bond.

 

(Please Note We take No credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Woman watched NASCAR with deceased man for over a year

Many of us like watching races in the company of other NASCAR fans, but Linda Chase of Jackson, Mich., might have taken that just a bit too far.

For the past 10 years, she lived together with Charles Zigler. And when Zigler passed away, they continued to live and watch NASCAR together for approximately 18 months until authorities found Zigler’s body on Friday.

We’ll let the Jackson Citizen Patriot take it from here:

Zigler, known as Charlie, died naturally, Linda Chase said. “He just fell asleep.” She kept him in his chair after he died, keeping him dressed and cleaned. His body did not stink, she said. She would talk to him and watch NASCAR races on television with him.

Jackson officials believe that Zigler, who would have been 67 or 68, died around Christmas of 2010. That was 18 months ago. When Zigler’s family members went to check on him after not hearing from him for a while, they went to the police, who found Zigler’s body in his chair.

Chase kept Zigler’s body around for more than NASCAR races, however. She’s admitted to cashing his social security checks, saying “I’m probably going to prison.” She’s currently being investigated. When family members, with whom Zigler did not have a close relationship, tried to contact him, Chase would tell them that he was gone. She told the paper that “It’s not that I’m heartless. It’s just that after so many bad things happen to you, I don’t know.

“I didn’t want to be alone. He was the only guy who was ever nice to me.”

So, next time you have friends over for a race, check on them every once in a while. Yeah, they could be just taking a nap because it’s Pocono, but you never know.

 

 

(Please Note: We take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Man claims to be with TV show, sucks toe in Walmart

A woman says a man claiming to be with a TV show sucked her toe inside an east Georgia Walmart after claiming everything she purchased that day would be free if she complied with the unusual request.

The Augusta Chronicle reports that the woman called sheriff’s deputies Tuesday to describe the bizarre encounter in the Grovetown store, west of Augusta.

Columbia County sheriff’s reports say the man asked the 18-year-old if her toenails were painted, whether she’d watched America’s Funniest Home Videos and said he was with the show.

Authorities say he asked if he could kiss her foot as part of the prank, then started sucking on her big toe.

The woman said she screamed, the man said “it tasted so good, though” and then ran from the Walmart.

 

(Please Note: We take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Man found dead in tiger pit at Copenhagen Zoo

COPENHAGEN, Denmark –  A 21-year-old man was found dead Wednesday inside a tiger den at the Copenhagen Zoo after having received a fatal bite to his throat, Danish police said.

Lars Borg, a spokesman for the Copenhagen police, said it was unclear how or why the man had entered the pit, but said investigators could not exclude suicide as a motive. The victim is a foreign national who holds a Danish residence permit, but police would not immediately release his identity or his nationality.

“Everything indicates that the tigers have killed him,” Borg said, noting an examination of the body showed the man had been bitten on the thigh, chest, face and throat.

His body was found surrounded by the park’s three Siberian tigers by a zookeeper early on Wednesday morning.

Borg said the man appeared to have entered the tiger area from a low wall surrounding the den and then ending up in the moat inside the enclosure. “He has been in the water and the animals must have seen that and attacked him,” Borg said.

Investigators were going through CCTV-camera footage to try to establish the man’s path inside the park.

Copenhagen Zoo manager Steffen Straede says it is the first time in the zoo’s 152-year history that such an incident has occurred, and there were no plans to reassess its security or to put the tigers down.

“If a person really wants to get in (there), we cannot prevent it from happening,” he said.

(Please Note: We take NO credit for this story: All information is from here!)