Florida man dies after winning cockroach-eating contest

Edward Archbold was, according to those who met him on Friday night, the life of the party – a bit of a showoff who was up for anything, even a giant cockroach-eating contest.

He won. And then, tragically, he died.

Now police from Deerfield Beach, Fla., about 40 miles north of Miami, are investigating the death of the 32-year-old, who on Facebook went by Edward William Barry.

According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, Archbold, of West Palm Beach, and several other contestants signed up to eat a variety of insects at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach. After eating dozens of giant cockroaches, Archbold was declared the winner of an ivory-ball python. (The prizes, Archbold indicated on his Facebook page that night, were less significant than the glory.)

He had also entered a superworm-eating contest earlier in the night.

But after winning, Archbold felt sick and started vomiting. He then collapsed in the store and was later pronounced dead. The medical examiner’s office is conducting tests to determine a cause of death, according to the sheriff’s office statement.

On Facebook, Ben Siegel Reptiles wrote that staff met Archbold the night of the Midnight Madness sale: “We all liked him right away. All of us here at Ben Siegel Reptiles are sad that we will not get to know Eddie better, for in the short time we knew him, he was very well liked by all.”

In the comments beneath the statement, the reptile store wrote that the prize “now belongs to his estate.”

In another Facebook comment, an attorney claiming to represent Ben Siegel Reptiles wrote that contest participants had signed waivers accepting their participation in this “unique and unorthodox contest.”

“The consumption of insects is widely accepted throughout the world, and the insects presented as part of the contest were taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles,” wrote attorney Luke Lirot.

No other contestants felt sick, the Broward Sheriff’s Office said.

And Archbold seemed to be doing all right earlier in the night, according to his own account on Facebook. He took photos of the superworms and wrote: ” Also side note im NOW in a super worm eating comp now…….what ever the hell a super worm is?”

Eating the bugs yielded valuable rewards, according to the store’s Facebook page: “Eat the most bugs in 4 minutes, win the ball morph. That’s it. Oh yeah, any vomiting is an automatic DQ,” the advertisement stated. “Eat the most crickets, win a male lesser. Eat the most superworms, win a female orange belly. Eat the most discoid roaches, win a female graphite sired ivory!”

Michael Adams, a professor of entomology at the University of California, Riverside, told The Associated Press that he has never heard of someone dying after eating roaches.

“Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don’t think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” Adams said. “Some people do have allergies to roaches but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects.”

Meanwhile, Archbold’s friends took to his Facebook page to remember him. Wrote one: “This goes out to one of the most funnest, craziest, and most energetic person I have ever met!!! I will never ever forget u Eddie… I don’t think anyone could!!”

 

(Please note, we take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Fox airs Ariz. carjacker shooting self after chase

An Arizona carjacking suspect shot himself in the head as Fox News broadcast the end of a police chase west of Phoenix. Fox anchor Shep Smith apologized, saying, “We really messed up.”

Update at 5:46 p.m. ET: Fox’s executive vice president of news editorial, Michael Clemente, issued a statement, the Associated Press says.

“We took every precaution to avoid any such live incident by putting the helicopter pictures on a five second delay,” he said. “Unfortunately, this mistake was the result of a severe human error and we apologize for what viewers ultimately saw on the screen.”

KSAZ-TV, the Fox affiliate in Phoenix, was providing the live feed from its helicopter but was not broadcasting it locally.

Update at 4:54 p.m. ET: Fox affiliate KSAZ-TV reports that the suspect’s body is still lying in the field where he fell. Police still have not confirmed that he is dead.

Update at 4:20 p.m. ET: Here’s what some viewers tweeted afterward (h/t Poynter):

Geraldo Rivera: Oh man just watched that car chase kid
in Arizona shoot himself in the head. Sick to my stomach. Feel so sorry for my
brother Shep.

HuffPostMedia: WOW. Shep Smith just narrated the car chase suspect shooting himself in the head. ‘Get off it!’ he screamed, and cut to a commercial.

Michael van Poppel: Holy crap. The suspect just killed himself on live TV.

Tom Vear: Cannot believe i just watched a live car chase for an hour and then all
the sudden watched him shoot himself in the head.. Crazy.

Sabrina Guma: Thank you #FoxNews for showing a LIVE car chase where obviously a
mentally unstable man gets out of the car and shoots himself in the
head.

Amanda Palumbo: Just saw a guy shoot himself after a chase on a live feed. Shows how
careful you have to be with live television. Wow.

Update at 3:38 p.m. ET: Fox News anchor Shep Smith apologized for airing the shocking sight, saying, “We really messed up.”

“That didn’t belong on TV. I personally apologize to you that that happened. That will not happen again on my watch, and I am sorry.”

According to an account by Mediabistro, which has Smith’s full apology, viewers could hear the studio crew members gasp and Smith say, “Get off, get off, get off,” asking the control room to cut away.

After jumping out of the car, the suspect ran down a dirt road, put the gun to his head, then slumped to the ground.

Police have not identified the man or confirmed that he is dead.

Original post: An Arizona carjacking suspect shot himself in the head on live TV after a police chase near Phoenix, according to Fox News.

His condition is not known.

The suspect fired shots at pursuing officers along westbound Interstate 10. After exiting he drove along dirt road in the town of Salome, Fox reports.

Fox anchor Shep Smith was narrating the chase when the suspect shot himself. He shouted, “Get off it!” and cut to a commercial.

The suspect stole a red Dodge Caliber in Phoenix and led police on a high-speed chase that lasted about an hour.

(Please Note We take no credit for the story. All information is from here!)

Man stalks clerk, steals her mail, pays her bills

JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. (WHAS11) — A Southern Indiana man is now charged in a bizarre case of stalking.

James Horlander is charged in Clark County. Police say Horlander was stalking a clerk from the Thornton’s on Court Avenue in Jeffersonville.

Court documents show Horlander went to the store several times a day and was seen sitting outside her residence on numerous occasions.

The alleged victim says he was even taking her mail, paying her bills and followed her every where she went.

The two only know each other from the Thornton’s.

(Please note: we take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Motorist looking for something to steal finds dead man in car trunk

A passer-by looking through an idling car he saw in a ditch in east Houston found a man’s body in the trunk, authorities said.

The man, identified as 28-year-old Donald Michael Lapointe of Houston, had been shot at least once in the chest, and his face was swollen and cut as if he had been beaten, said Jack Harvey, a homicide investigator with the Houston Police Department.

A bag of pills was found stuffed inside his pants.

The passer-by found the body about 4 a.m. Monday at 12800 Nimitz near Normandy.

He was driving with his wife and their 4-month child when he spotted a gold, four-door car nose down in the ditch.

The car was running and the windshield wipers were on.

Harvey said the passer-by told investigators he looked through the car for something he could take. Then he grabbed the keys from the ignition to look for stereo speakers in the trunk.

When he opened the trunk he found the body.

The passer-by drove to a nearby gas station and called 911.

Harvey said the passer-by and his wife are not a suspects in the killing.

The investigator said it appeared Lapointe had been shot elsewhere, placed in the trunk, driven to the area and left where he was found.

The car has not been reported stolen.

Investigators have no suspects or motive in the shooting.

 

(Please Note We Take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Male Texas school official spanks teen girl

A Texas mother says a local school district is covering its own rear end by considering a policy change regarding corporal punishment after a male vice principal paddled her daughter so hard it left a nasty mark.

The district in Springtown, just outside of Fort Worth, allows corporal punishment, but only when doled out by a teacher or administrator of the same sex as the student. But when Taylor Santos, 15, allegedly let a classmate copy her homework, Vice Principal Kirt Shaw disciplined the girl with a large wooden paddle, which he swung with a violent, upward motion, according to the girl’s mom, Anna Jorgensen.

“She was telling me it was numb and that it burned,” Jorgensen said. “And it looked like a burn. She slept on her side that night. She was more humiliated and embarrassed than anything, but the more she and I thought about it, it wasn’t fair and I thought I needed to do something about it.”

But instead of reprimanding Shaw for the cross-gender blow, the district is considering doing away with the requirement of same-sex spanking. Springtown ISD Superintendent Mike Kelley told FoxNews.com that the district’s seven-member board will consider revising the policy at a meeting Monday evening.

“We’ll give the board the option to discuss it,” said Kelley, who declined to provide specifics of the Sept. 19 incident at Springtown High School.

Anna Jorgensen told FoxNews.com her daughter initially received two days of in-school suspension for allowing another student to copy her work. When she was offered the chance to take a paddling in lieu of the second day of suspension, she submitted.

“I really don’t think he had to hit her that hard.”

- Anna Jorgensen, mother

Shaw first had the girl call her mother to approve the punishment, which is required. Jorgensen said she agreed, but had no idea the whack would come from a man — or be so severe. Jorgensen said her daughter, a cross-country athlete who weighs just 95 pounds, was left with large, blistered wounds on her buttocks.

“I really don’t think he had to hit her that hard,” she said. “I’m not saying he went in to intentionally hurt my daughter, but intentional or not, it did happen.”

Kelley defended the use of corporal punishment in the school system.

“We only use corporal punishment if the parent or guardian requests it,” he said. “We have not deviated from that practice.”

Asked why a male official administered the punishment to a female student, in violation of district policy, Kelley replied: “If we’ve deviated from district policy, that will be corrected.”

Jorgensen said that if correcting the mistake means changing the policy, the district is just trying to “cover themselves.”

“If you’re going to have corporal punishment, the [same gender] policy should stand,” she said. “But it’s about the force and the fact that I knew the school policy before it happened.”

Jorgensen, who has two younger children, ages 14 and 6, said she no longer supports the use of corporal punishment in schools.

“There should be other ways for punishment,” she said. “Personally, I will never again allow any of my kids to receive corporal punishment. I will never allow it again.”

The punishment, Jorgensen said, was “not at all age appropriate” for a young teenage girl.

“It was completely wrong and I admit I was in poor judgment allowing her to do it,” she said. “I feel like my child has been abused. If I did it to my own kid, they [child protective services] would be at my house.”

Thirty-one states, plus Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, have abolished corporal punishment in public schools. States like Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Wyoming and several others still allow it. In 2005-06 — the latest year for which data is available — less than 1 percent of students in districts that allow corporal punishment were spanked, according to Civil Rights Data Collection.

In 1976, more than 1.5 million public students were paddled according to reports submitted to the U.S. Department of Education, compared to 223,190 students in 2005-06. A year later, in 1977, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that spanking or paddling by school is lawful where it had not been explicitly outlawed by local authorities.

Deb Sendek, program director for the Ohio-based Center for Effective Discipline (CED), said the district’s decision to reconsider how corporal punishment is administered rather than banning it altogether was “very, very disappointing,” especially since many districts in Texas have privately stopped its use.

“It’s not how we respond in work situations and we don’t say go over and hit your neighbor, so why do we in an institution where we are trying to teach children about the rights and wrongs about life?” Sendek told FoxNews.com.

Jorgensen will attend Monday’s meeting and hopes to get a chance to address the board members.

“I’m not after money,” she said when asked if she was considering legal action. “I’m after doing what’s right by the students.”

(please note: we take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)

Officer shoots, kills double amputee in wheelchair

HOUSTON –  A Houston police officer shot and killed a one-armed, one-legged man in a wheelchair Saturday inside a group home after police say the double amputee threatened the officer and aggressively waved a metal object that turned out to be a pen.

Police spokeswoman Jodi Silva said the man cornered the officer in his wheelchair and was making threats while trying to stab the officer with the pen. At the time, the officer did not know what the metal object was that the man was waving, Silva said.

She said the man came “within inches to a foot” of the officer and did not follow instructions to calm down and remain still.

“Fearing for his partner’s safety and his own safety, he discharged his weapon,” Silva told The Associated Press.

Police did not immediately release the name of the man who was killed. They had been called to the home after a caretaker there called and reported that the man in wheelchair was causing a disturbance.

The owner of the group home, John Garcia, told the Houston Chronicle that the man had a history of mental illness and had been living at the house about 18 months. Garcia said the man had told him that he lost a leg above the knee and all of one arm when he was hit by a train.

“He sometimes would go off a bit, but you just ignore it,” Garcia told the newspaper.

Silva identified the officer as Matthew Jacob Marin, a five-year veteran of the department. He was immediately placed on three-day administrative leave, which is standard in all shootings involving officers.

Houston police records indicate that Marin also fatally shot a suspect in 2009. Investigators at the time said Marin came upon a man stabbing his neighbor to death at an apartment complex and opened fired when the suspect refused to drop the knife.

On Saturday, Marin and his partner arrived at the group home around 2:30 a.m. Silva said there were several people at the house at the time. The caretaker who called police waited on the porch while the officers went inside, she said.

“It was close quarters in the area of the house,” Silva said. “The officer was forced into an area where he had no way to get out.”

(Please Note: We Take NO credit for this information. All information is from here!)

Woman tries to decapitate sleeping husband with electric saw

EVERETT, Wash. –  A Washington state woman accused of trying to decapitate her sleeping husband with an electric saw was convicted Thursday of attempted murder.

Jurors needed only about three hours to reach a verdict in the trial of Renee Bishop-McKean of Everett. They also convicted the 44-year-old woman of first-degree assault for hitting the man in the head with a hatchet and mallet.

The jury was told the noise of the saw woke the victim last Oct. 14 and he fought his wife off. He was treated for cuts and scrapes.

Bishop-McKean told police an attacker must have entered the home through an open window, found the saw and attacked her husband. Deputy Prosecutor Paul Stern noted the window was locked so it would only open a few inches. He called the woman’s theory the “Tinkerbell did this” defense.

The woman, who did not testify, shook her head in disagreement when the verdicts were announced.

Bishop-McKean faces at least 15 years in prison at sentencing set for Oct. 4.

The couple had been living apart but jurors were told the woman invited her husband over and told him to sleep on a mattress that she had wrapped in plastic, then covered with normal sheets.

Police found evidence that Bishop-McKean had purchased the saw, hatchet and mallet shortly before the attack and stockpiled bleach and a supply of large garbage bags.

“You don’t need to be concerned about the `why,”‘ Stern said in closing arguments Thursday. “You care about the `who.”‘

Defense lawyer Ken Lee said prosecutors couldn’t explain what happened or prove that his client was responsible. He offered three theories, including the mysterious intruder scenario suggested by Bishop-McKean.

Lee also suggested the victim might have hurt himself and blamed his wife. The defense lawyer acknowledged that option was “right out of Alfred Hitchcock.”

Finally, Lee said the only other possibility was that Bishop-McKean was responsible for the attack but if so, the evidence suggests “a very half-hearted attempt” to kill.

The Daily Herald of Everett reports that tests on the tools showed DNA from both Bishop-McKean and her husband, with trace amounts from someone else. Jurors were told the trace amount likely came from someone who handled the saw at the store before its purchase.

(Please Note: We take NO credit for this story. All information is from here!)